Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Almost Carol from The Walking Dead

It is now four weeks since my surgery and I'm coming right along. It won't be long before my hair will look like Carol Peletier's, a character on one of my favorite TV shows The Walking Dead


I wasn't a fan of Carol (played by Melissa McBride) for the first few seasons. I tend to fall for stronger characters--at least characters who show their strength in obvious ways. Carol seemed to be wimpy, a helpless victim. Now I know better. In the last two seasons, Carol has evolved into a real bad ass. This is one reason why I hope my hair follows the evolution of Carol's. Granted, her hair is the result of complete neglect and lack of available salons during the zombie apocalypse. But I bet my hair stylist will be able to coerce my 'do in a similar fashion. Heads up Merideth.

But enough about my hair. I realize there are more important things going on with my status, like my lack of headaches. Anyone who suffers chronic headaches knows how great a headache free day can be. Well I've had four weeks with no headaches! After almost a year of daily pain, this is a dream.

My major complaints right now are general weakness, slightly blurred vision (which could be a result of my meds or my age), and the knowledge that I have an internal plastic tube running from my head to my abdomen. The shunt prevents me from laying on my left side because it's uncomfortable. I've researched this on several medical forums, and it seems to be hit or miss if I'll ever get used to it. Here's an image of the shunt and how it's placed. It's function is to drain excess CSF (hydrocephalus), which is blocked by my tumor, out of my head and divert it to my abdomen where my body will take care of it naturally.


I keep reminding myself that it could be much worse. There is always someone sicker than me, weaker, more tired or frustrated than me. Or we could be in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. While it's difficult for those around me to watch my recovery, I think I have it the easiest because I know what I'm capable of and what my limitations are. I'm not stronger than the woman who undergoes rounds of chemotherapy for breast cancer or the child who spends weeks in the hospital battling brain cancer. They have it worse.

I am not the victim Carol Peletier. I am the bad ass Carol Peletier.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment